1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Got fired from a job, moved my entire house from decision to being completely out in 7 days time, applied for food benefits from the state, went away for the weekend with Scott, watched a friend finally succumb to cancer, presented to a classroom of college students about the sex positive movement.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I made some goals at the beginning of 2016. They were to read more, to send birthday and anniversary cards every month, to write more, and to flirt more. I succeeded better at some than others. I definitely read more in 2016 than I had in the two years before it, so that's a win. I sent out some cards, but not as many as I'd like. The flirting thing kind of fell by the wayside when my year spiraled out and I wasn't in the greatest place.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one close to me.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Too many. My long-time friend, of breast cancer. My grandmother Ann, my Aunt Lena, my high school journalism teacher, and my Uncle Chuck. Also not close to me directly, but my best friend's father died, which was quite awful to see her go through.
5. What countries did you visit?
I spent Valentine's Day weekend in Canada with my honey.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
A full time job. Stability. My boyfriend back home.
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 20 - the day I became an ex-employee at my last job
February 14-15 - the weekend I went away with Scott
November 8 - the day America lost its mind and elected Donald Trump as president
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving. Honestly. Because it was not easy.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I can't even this year with this question.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just a nasty bout of strep throat in December.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I didn't buy much. But definitely these leggings.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My Mom. Scott. Sam also improved a lot in terms of some ongoing issues this year, which was wonderful.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Millions of Americans
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, living expenses, bills
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Leggings? Lol There wasn't a ton to get excited about, but that and having my boyfriend and best friend and my Mom always by my side lifting me up is the best thing.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Rihanna - Work
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
So much poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Mom and Paul were in Cuba, so we spent the day with Scott's family and the kids other parent. It was pretty low-key.
21. Did you fall in love with 2016?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Good Place
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
A fair shot. A job.
28. What was your favorite film of 2016?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36. Scott was here. Mom made me pecan pie and stromboli. It was delicious. I got great presents from her and the kids, and it was a good birthday.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2016?
32. What kept you sane?
Scott. My Mom. Cinnamon Rolls. Zoloft.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh Lord. Human Rights.
34. Who did you miss?
I miss Kira and Nora and wish I could see them more. I miss Helene and Lianna and my Dad. I wish I could have all my family closer.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
This guy Max I know and his wife Esther. They're awesome people. Also this other guy Greg. Friends are life.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Life still isn't fair.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are
As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends"