1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Moved in to my own place for the first time ever, entered the dating scene as an adult, hired a lawyer and went to court, let someone hold me while I cried and felt safe.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not make resolutions for 2014. I will be making some for 2015, but that is a whole other post!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
The students in my Birth Boot Camp classes were special to me, though I wouldn't necessarily say we are 'close.'
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I think I went to Canada once this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Stability. More time to write, or discipline in making the time. A cat.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 25 - Last day at Birch Bay Tax & Accounting
May - 10 Year book club trip to Suncadia
May 31 - Got to see Lianna dance
June 16 - First day at Western Solar
August 1 - Moved in to our condo.
November 27 - Thanksgiving with friends
December 4 - Had to go to court, it was terrible
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting back on my feet enough to move me and the boys into our own place.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't think I've really failed at anything. It has been a rough year, and I've gotten through it, with a good amount of joy. Seems like a success to me.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I found out last month that my IIH is still around and have an appointment with a neurologist on December 30.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmm... Probably my boudoir photos. It was a great investment.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My Mom. Scott.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
If you know me, you already know the answer to this question.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, living expenses.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The two trips I took in August, my boudoir photos, the new planner I ordered in December (dork).
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
"All About that Bass" by Meghan Trainor and "Royals" by Lorde
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
I am happier, for sure. It has taken a lot of work, and some days are still hard. But I am in a pretty good place.
I am fatter than I was at this time last year, and I am sure that will be something we talk about at the neurologist next week. I need to lose weight, but with single momming and working, it is hard to find time or energy. This is something I need to think about.
I am neither richer or poorer financially than I was last year. It is hard to get ahead.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing. I have been getting back into blogging more and writing my articles, but I wish I'd written more this year. Same with photography, but I've also been pulling my camera out more in the last couple of months.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Waiting around for my ex to help or do anything related to the divorce. I wish I had filed much sooner, back in the beginning part of the year, so we could have gotten things over with.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I will spend Christmas at home, with the kids. Emily is coming over and we will have a quiet Christmas morning, then I'm sure the kids will play XBox and Wii all day long and I will be drinking the salted caramel hot chocolate with Kahlua my sister gave me and eating chocolates.
21. Did you fall in love with 2014?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Hard to choose. The Newsroom, The Walking Dead, Scandal.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities by Dossie Easton & Catherine A. Liszt. I have kind of a ton to say about this book, but haven't managed to write it yet. It will be here soon!
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
Friendship, lots of fun, joy, pleasure, love, happiness.
27. What did you want and not get?
My divorce finalized.
28. What was your favorite film of 2014?
Guardians of the Galaxy
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday was pretty chill this year. The weekend before, I went down to Seattle and hung out with Brooke. On my actual birthday, I hung out with my friend Scott and we went and saw Mockingjay.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2014?
Comfortable and pretty. Wearing things that make me feel happy when I look at them. Big, sparkly rings. Boots and scarves.
32. What kept you sane?
Having good friends who supported me and let me be myself and feel how I felt. Having a really good friend to hold me while I cried. Writing.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Race relations - although I guess that is more of a human rights issue, really.
34. Who did you miss?
I miss Kira and Nora and wish I could see them more. I miss Helene and Lianna and my Dad. I wish I could have all my family closer.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
I have met a lot of new people this year, and they are wonderful. My co-workers at my new job are wonderful. I have made so many new friends. Scott, Cameron, Konan, Sarah, Sarah, Samantha, and a bunch more. I can't really choose just one because this year has been so much about being open and finding my little community here in Bellingham (finally!).
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
I am beautiful, and lovable.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"If you got beauty beauty just raise 'em up
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top"
All About that Bass - Meghan Trainor